Friday, November 22, 2013

435








PROCESS  -  PROCEDURE  -  COURSE

When one of us sets the parameters. Establishes the scale. Gives the marks in reference to all the rest of us. We are missing the point. The point is not whether what we do measures up to some else’s scale or not. What we do must measure up to our own scale.  

And what I currently do tells me that I am on a consistent move forward. Sometimes it is quicker. Sometimes it is slower. Sometimes I might even take a step backwards but it is still the movement that is important. At the end of this movement is the possible accomplishment. Not in the middle of. Not at a high point. In the movement itself.  
I will question. I will learn. I will improve. I will prove. Doing the experiment over and over again is what tells me whether it is valuable or not. Succeeding once can be incredibly helpful but having something I can depend on is the actual goal.  

What that turns into for me is in the future.
Not today. The future.
That is why I am doing what I am doing today.
If I knew what it was going to turn out to be.
Or if I knew exactly what it was going to look like.
I would not be interested.  

I like nonobjective works.
I like nonobjective works on paper.
I like dealing with words and numbers.
I like archaic and esoteric concepts.
I like older versions of word meanings.
I like older versions of dealing with the universe.
These are interests of mine.
They influence who I am and what I do.  

Whether another is skeptical of my means.
Whether another is skeptical of my thought process.
Or skeptical about the way I approach artwork really doesn’t matter in the long run.
As long as I am doing what I want to do.
In the ways that I want to do it.
And I still have the ability to judge.  
To judge whether I am doing well or not.  
To judge whether I am moving in the right direction or not.  
To judge whether I am achieving anything or not.  
The movement itself is the purpose of all of this. 







6 comments:

  1. Individuality of expression is the beginning and end of all art.
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    ReplyDelete
  2. all manifestos must be scribbled with fevered hand
    the original complete with contradiction and revisions
    will be displayed as art

    lest they become mere footnote and plaque

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether another is skeptical of my means.
    Whether another is skeptical of my thought process.
    Or skeptical about the way I approach artwork really doesn’t matter in the long run.

    they become merely footloose and pant-less

    ReplyDelete
  4. others are always skeptical of an acknowledgement of skepticism but skepticism implies interest... enough interest to remain skeptical

    ReplyDelete
  5. and when you have enough interest
    you just don't need pants

    ReplyDelete
  6. scepticism is interest. that's as plain as the nose on your pants.

    ReplyDelete