Sunday, November 17, 2013

430







PHOTOGRAPHY




Photography is the science practice and art of creating images by recording light. Either chemically by means of a light sensitive film or paper or electronically by means of a digital image sensor. Light that is reflected or emitted from objects outside the camera enters through an aperture that is regulated by a shutter. This measured amount of light makes an image on the light sensitive surface inside the camera.
I enjoy analog photography. And I am learning to enjoy digital photography too. I like to take photographs without lenses. I do take photographs with lenses too. 
I want the photograph to be as much about what I am bringing to the process as the subject I am photographing. I am selfish that way. 
In the last 15 to 20 years I have used 35mm film cameras both well made cameras and toys. Medium format and large format film cameras once again some very well made and some made of wood or cardboard. I have used great lenses and plastic lenses and pinholes and zone plates. I have used standard b&w and color films and instant analog films in many sizes. I have used digital point and shoot cameras and digital SLRs. 
No matter what I was using the idea was to take a photograph that could most probably only have been taken by me. It is not that easy to do. There are a lot of images out there. They are everywhere. Photographs are used by science and manufacturing. They are used in business and mass communication. They are used for recreational purposes. They are used for art. In a world saturated with images it is difficult to do anything unique. However. It is still an excellent goal.
The word photography is derived from the Greek photos for ‘light’ and graphos for ‘drawing’. Sounds a little like art to me.







7 comments:

  1. To consult the rules of composition before making a photograph is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.
    - Edward Weston

    ReplyDelete
  2. video killed the radio star

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the difference between a toy camera and a well made camera?

    ReplyDelete