Wednesday, August 20, 2014

675 World Photo Day (a day late)








Sorry I am a day late.
August 19th is World Photo Day. It marks the date when the first practical photographic process was released from its patent.
The process was the Daguerreotype. Invented by Joseph Nicephore Niepce and Louis Daguerre in 1837. Two years later on August 19th 1839 the French government purchased the patent and made it freely available to the rest of the world as a gift.
World photo day was established in 2010.










7 comments:

  1. Film based photo taken on Central Parkway (Cincinnati OH) 14 or 15 years ago.

    Still working on the block print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it was given why are photos referred to as taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might have something to do with stealing the soul of what ever you photograph...

      Delete
    2. it is like the French say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder"

      Delete
  3. The posted photo could be anywhere I suppose, but it takes me back to my walk to work in Charleston, SC and conjures up some wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charleston...
      isn't that the home of fish printing in SC?

      Delete
    2. Yes it is. While my memories of Sue are good, my thoughts about using actual fish to make prints is not so good.

      Delete